Monday, October 15, 2007

Epicurean Memories - Coming Full Circle

As Natalie reminiscences about the differences between California and Texas, I remember that I had that same culture shock 34 years ago when I left La Jolla, California for Abilene, Texas. Talk about culture shock!

Yesterday when we went to the fair, I thought about the first time my college roommate, Vicki Ward, brought me to The State Fair of Texas in 1973. Believe it or not, I was introduced to my first Fletcher's Corny Dog. She had already introduced me to the great epicurean treats of Texas that I had never consummed while growing up on the West Coast: Dr. Pepper, chicken fried steak from the Town Crier, chicken fried pork chops, she home made, Whataburger hamburgers and last, but not least, The DQ Dude from Dairy Queen!

In an effort to pay homage to that fall semester at ACC in 1973, I drove through Dairy Queen the other day when I was in Mineral Wells. I ordered a DQ Dude and a Dr. Pepper. Imagine my surprise, when I heard these words for the first time EVER..."I'm sorry, mam. We are out of Dr. Pepper and we won't have any until the next truck comes." That is heresy! A DQ Dude w/out a DP isn't the same.

Getting acclimated to a new place or an old place over again, is never an easy process. Fortunately, there are new and old friends and family just waiting to help make the process easier...even if sometimes your new friend is a Route 44 with extra ice. - Suzie

No comments: