Friday, July 4, 2008

Penny for Your Thoughts


As our family celebrates the independence of our country, I struggle to find the balance between blind allegiance to the red, white, and blue and broad criticism of our entire democracy.

My thoughts today:

I praise you God for the rights that are afforded and protected in our constitution.
I pray to you God that those rights be respected for all people, everyday.

I praise you God for the right to vote for a candidate of my choice in a free and fair election.
I pray to you God that I use that vote in an honest, thoughtful, and deliberate manner.

I praise you God for people who volunteer their lives to serve in our armed forces.
I pray to you God that their lives be used to strengthen the people of all nations, not just the power of some nations.

I praise you God for the freedom to worship in any manner that pleases me.
I pray to you God that you lead me in worship that pleases you.


Can you see how I'm struggling to find the balance? Reading in Isaiah this week, I see what I'm waiting on, but how does Christ as ruler and God's kingdom manifest itself with our rulers and our kingdoms now?

Please feel free to add your comments and start a dialogue. Share where you find it tough to see the balance or, if you've found the balance, share your message of reconciliation.

Whew, good thing I'm posting pictures of Owen with the Noodle Man this weekend, or this blog would be gettin' a little heavy. :)

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I pretty much echo your thoughts. As with most issues, I'm frustrated by both extremes. On the one hand, I think the blind patriotism, the dogmatic America-above-all-other countries fails to take into account our responsibility to a higher citizenship. On the other hand, I think it's unfair to assume that by simply appreciating the good things about the country we live in, we are somehow being disloyal to God's kingdom. I think we can be thankful for our blessings through our nation, yet still be aware that loyalty to any nation should never come before loving our neighbors and our enemies regardless of nation, creed, location, etc.