Sunday, June 6, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

As we are ending the school year and celebrating June's 1st birthday, I'd be remiss not to reflect a little on the past year. And in doing so, I keep thinking, "Wow! What a difference a year makes!"

Last year, I was literally doing somersaults in the pool to try to turn a breech baby. This year, that baby is LOVING the pool herself.

PS: If you're local and want a pool break, call me. Watching 2 kids at a busy apartment pool is no joke, and I'd love the company during the long summer days!



Last year, June was 8 pounds & 7 ounces; today she's 23 pounds.

Last year, she was 21 inches; today she's 31 inches.


Last year, I took a 3 day old baby to Owen's day care for his end-of-year ceremonies.

This is him last year.

And this year, a took a squirmy 1 year old to watch him confidently finish a year of pre-K.
This is his "cool breeze" photo. The teacher told the 3 answers every kid replied to these questions:
  1. What do you want to be when you grow up?
  2. What was your favorite thing about pre-K?
  3. What do you want to learn in kindergarten?
Owen said:
  1. doctor
  2. recess
  3. to read
On the reading front, I marvel at the human mind! What a gift to watch him learning more and more of what is really such a complex process. If you can read this, take a moment to appreciate the value of your education. We are blessed to have access to such amazing educational opportunities here in the US, are we not?

One more pic of my handsome dude!

Last year, Michael wondered if he'd ever finish his degree and start a career.
This year, Dr. A received a successful mid-year review from his employer.

Wow, those 2 tiny sentences carry a lot of weight for me. Tears of joy!

Last year, I was a full-time teacher whose favorite student was born in Thailand.
This year, I'm a stay-at-home mom, work part-time in apartment ministry, and am traveling to Thailand in less than a week!

Please be praying for the whole Come before Winter team and the participants at the renewal in Chiang Rai.

It has been so odd to not be in the classroom this year; I often have dreams that I am teaching or managing a class. Very surreal in the morning when I can't figure out if I need to be getting dressed for work or a day with the kids. Being at home had a steep learning curve, and in fact, I feel like I have more off-days than successes.

I laugh when I recall the nights after a long day teaching, picking Owen up from daycare, making dinner, and doing the bedtime routine when I'd collapse on the couch and tell Michael how if I was home all day, maybe I'd have more energy or patience. Now, after a long day parenting and doing stuff at the apartment complex, making dinner, and doing the bedtime routine, I still collapse on the couch and tell Michael that if I was working, maybe I'd have more energy or patience. Ha ha! I just have to remember that we are parents of young ones, and sometimes the days are long. But the years go by quickly. So here's to another year. I cherished and loved it.


And these pics are just because I still can't believe she's this big...trying to figure out how to ride this toy her cousin Abby handed down to her.

And this is the "I see you trying to sneak up and steal this precious Dora card, and I will throw down, if necessary!"
On your mark, get set...


Lord, you are faithful in all things, and I praise you for your constant companionship through the ups and downs of this year. There were times I hesitated to go down the road you have called us to as a family, but you have been a light to my feet. That you may be known...

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my, I haven't seen June in person in forever. She's looking so much like a big girl! You have had quite a year, and it's so impressive to read how you've handled all of the changes. Any of those on their own would be a big transition, and y'all have walked through them with grace!

Julie said...

I love those kids and I love their mama!!!

I would eat June with a spoon. Ahhhh I love her!

Praying the Lord's richest blessings in Thailand!

Jodi said...

Praying blessings for your travels, friend!

I just love your blog posts. Love your adorable kids, your humor, your faithful insight. Thank you for those blessings!

The Timberframer's Wife said...

You are so encouraging, in person and online! So glad your trip was so good!